Thursday, November 15, 2007

In Memory of Moose

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
One year ago today we lost our sweet boy Moose to cancer. Moose was a 100-lb Shepard/Rottweiler. He was our baby boy.
Before Moose, we lost our Iggy, my husbands 12-year old 70-lb dog. I will tell you 100% truthfully that I married my husband because of Iggy. My husband adored that dog. As a dog lover myself, I could not help but fall in love with a man that loved his dog like Iggy was loved.
Iggy passed away when we were in Mexico on our honeymoon. We were devastated. I could not even think about bringing another dog into our life. Iggy was irreplaceable. It took me two years to even think about getting another dog.

And then we found Moose.

We had him for 6 glorious years. One day he started to limp, and when we took him to the vet, it was discovered that he had bone cancer. The cancer took him from us only 2-weeks later.
I wrote the following poem about him just after he died. I miss him today as much as I did one year ago.
I wish each of you could someday have a Moose in your life.
Your life will never be the same.

For Moose

We met you six years ago when we answered an ad,
“Looking for a home for some puppies”, that’s what it said.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Your Daddy did lots of research, and he asked around,
Shepard’s and Rottweiler’s are loyal and true, that’s what he found.

So off we drove with a $100 check,
I was still doubtful, but thought “Oh, what the heck”.

I surely wasn’t convinced we were doing the right thing,
Their yard was dirty and they had a broken porch swing.

There were so many dogs and puppies running about,
It was very chaotic, and I wanted to get out.

But your Daddy was stubborn, and wanted a furry friend.
He was still missing Iggy, and the loneliness in his heart only a new puppy could mend.

We narrowed it down to you and your brother so we asked which one would howl,
And the man looked at us and said “Take that one, he has a mean growl”.

So off we drove, with you on your new Daddy’s lap,
You were so small and sweet, and you curled up to take a nap.

We gave you a bath, and a nice good meal,
Getting you to stop sitting in your water bowl was quite an ordeal.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

During the next few months you dug up the yard and messed on the rug.
And when the neighboring beagles walked by, you barked at them and thought you were a big, bad thug.

We decided to get a new puppy, Molly, to try to keep you calm.
But now we had two, big obnoxious dogs, that’s what we found.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Through the next 6-years we loved you like you were our child,
I swear some days when we spoke to you; you would look at us and smile.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

You were strong and brave and majestic and true.
And watching you run in the park was Daddy’s favorite thing to do.

When they told us you were sick, it’s something we could not believe,
You were healthy and muscular, and cancer we could not perceive.

The cancer brought your body down quicker than we could ever have known,
To the end you were a true warrior, you never, ever made even a groan.

You spent your last day being spoiled and loved,
Everyone came to say goodbye...Moose, you were truly beloved.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Daddy held you and looked into your eyes as you took your last breath,
He said “Thank you Moosie for everything” as you slipped peacefully into your sweet death.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I hope that you know how much you will be missed,
Daddy isn’t taking it well, he feels really pissed.

But we know you are in heaven, running free like the wind.
And knowing you are there with Iggy is making me grin.

And although for now we have to be apart.
We are not alone because your paw prints will always be on our heart.

Please know how much you meant to our life and though our pain is profuse,
We know we will see you again someday, our sweet baby Moose.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that is a beautiful poem. I have tears streaming down my face. Dogs are more than pets they are family.

Unknown said...

That was beautiful - I have tears in my eyes. There is nothing in the world like the love for and of a dog.

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful and I too am crying. Truly there is nothing like the unconditional love and friendship of a dog. What a blessing Moose was and now his memories of such wonderful days.

Anonymous said...

I am all choked up too, I love animals and can completely understand the heartache of being apart, but know that he is wagging that wet dog bowl tail at you each and every day!!

Rebecca said...

WAAAAAAH!!! Oh, that broke my heart! That was so eloquent, Linda...I totally understand the pain entirely too well, and you're right, it doesn't seem to ever go away.

Your Moose and Iggy are chasing each other and my Mancie Pants is throwing the ball while they all play fetch!